Welcome. The project started from a placement at university. Looking at the situation of school gardens in Thunder Bay, Ontario. There are many pieces of the puzzle and eco-justice, social justice, food security and education all find a home at my Blog.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Indoor Potato Project

A couple of weeks ago, I came across a website about growing potatoes indoors. We still have plenty of snow on the ground in our part of the world and the idea of fresh food made me want to give it a try. We found a potato planter at a local garden centre and dug out some seed potatoes from last years stock from the harvest. As adventurous as ever, my children and I planted out three potatoes in our newly found planter and waited. On day two, my 5 year old declared he was sure he could see some plants growing... A week later and he did! Now we are watching and waiting to see if our experiment works and we get our fresh potatoes before the snow thaws and we are able to dig out our vegetable garden.
Here's a website with some ideas for indoor potato planting.
http://www.gardening-tips-idea.com/Growing-potatoes-indoor.html

Week two I believe and we planted a couple more seed potatoes as some did not come up. My children were watching and waiting for the potatoes to grow this afternoon. Still disappointed of the appearance of just one plant. Oh well.. Maybe it will enjoy the sunshine this week?

Well... I planted more potatoes and they all came up. I'm hoping if the weather warms up and we can put the container outside, we might get lucky with some potatoes this Spring. The bag actually looks like its too full now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXSC5Rt01WU

No comments:

Post a Comment