Welcome. The project started from a placement at university. Looking at the situation of school gardens in Thunder Bay, Ontario. There are many pieces of the puzzle and eco-justice, social justice, food security and education all find a home at my Blog.

Friday, May 6, 2011

Farmers Market's

I've been thinking a lot about farmers markets in Ontario. We are amazingly lucky in Thunder Bay to have such a thriving market. There are meat vendors, fresh produce and cheeses to be had as well as baking and other goodies to be found. There has been great success in the city to show people how important it is to each locally and to chose local products.

Why do I love the farmers market? Thats an easy question to answer. You meet the farmers who produce your food. You only have to look at the recalls on vegetable and meat products at the supermarket to realize just how important it is to know who is making and growing your food. I love the fact that the vendors know me and my children and know what we like to purchase. Saturday mornings are about choosing healthy local produce and knowing that there is little or no pesticides on them. I love meeting up with friends and seeing people I know at the market. The children have a lot of fun too. They love learning about the farms and animals and vegetables. Its so important for children to have that connectedness to what they eat and to know that food doesn't come from the supermarket.

Farmers markets are about a sense of belonging to our environments. Knowing where my food comes from helps me to understand my environment better and enables me to make choices. For everyone who knows me, I am a BIG fan of our local farmers markets in Ontario.

for more information on farmers markets in Ontario, check out these two websites.

http://www.farmersmarketsontario.com/

and http://www.thunderbaycountrymarket.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment