Welcome. The project started from a placement at university. Looking at the situation of school gardens in Thunder Bay, Ontario. There are many pieces of the puzzle and eco-justice, social justice, food security and education all find a home at my Blog.

Monday, March 14, 2011

tips for first time gardeners.

http://www.canada.com/life/Veggie+gardening+beginners/4348310/story.html

I have been gardening for most of my life. It began as a child in my grandmothers garden. She gave my brother and I peas to plant. We chose one of the secret parts of her huge garden and got to work. I've helped in gardens ever since.
When I got my first house we had a little garden and were only able to plant potatoes and onions. It was a great start and we learnt lots in those first years. As the article says, we need to start small. Experiment with soil and know your zone.
When we moved to northern Ontario from Ireland, this type of gardening was quite a shock to us, where flowers were growing in March (snowdrops in January) When we can't see leaves on trees until May/June, gardening is a challenge and I am amazed by what farmers can achieve. I was also told by many friends not to plant anything outside until the magic date of the 21st May. I often plant potatoes before then and still have wonderful crops. Other vegetables like the cooler weather and we plant lettuce and spinach at this time too.
My children love planting potatoes and peas. They are often found around the raspberry canes in the late Summer. They also love planting marigolds and sunflowers for the birds.
Now we have successfully planted potatoes, beans, peas, onions, carrots, parsnips, lettuce, radishes, onions and garlic. It is amazing how successful we have been with heirloom varieties of seeds.

More tips on vegetable gardening at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv1KLDPf8YY&feature=player_embedded

No comments:

Post a Comment